Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Beautiful Books #1

So, you may remember last month Grace and I did our first Beautiful People meme, which is hosted by Cait @ Notebook Sisters and Sky @ Further Up and Further In. It's a chance to share about your characters and everything. Well this month they're doing Beautiful Books instead(or along with) where you share about your books! It's in preparation for NaNoWriMo, but you don't have to be doing NaNoWriMo, though both Grace and I are, basically go here to find out more about the Meme. Grace and I will both be answering the series of 15 questions and linking up for this meme!

Steele's NaNo Project:
  1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser? For this book? Definitely characters. They were originally for a different book idea I had and they basically stayed the same, just the whole plot changed. I am definitely a plotter. Bad things happen when I try to "fly by the seat of my pants", bad things.
  2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”? Title? yes. It's called This World In Gray. Back cover blurb? No.
  3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished? Probably about 75,000, which I hope to write all of in November for NaNo.
  4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences. "I don't want to answer this question. This is a really hard question. Lacey is sad, depressed, and trying to move on from her twin sisters death."
  5. Sum up your characters in one word each. Lacey: Sad. Gwen: dead. Mason: secretive. Dakota: misleading. Oz: complicated.
  6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them! Gwen! She's my main character (Lacey)'s twin sister who just died. She will be shown mainly in flashbacks. She was truly Lacey's other half, and Gwen felt the same way. She is a pivotal part of the story as her death is what Lacey is trying to overcome.
  7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal? I don't really have a villain...this is a contemporary novel... There's Dakota who is a douche, who is also secretly in love with Lacey, while she hates him. He does some pretty messed up things...does that count? His goal would be to get Lacey to notice and love him...I guess. (Penelope Grace: Agent Grant Ward from Agents of Shield! Kidding guys. Love you all!)
  8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way? She doesn't really have a goal, you know, beyond surviving her sister's death.
  9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey? The death of her sister.
  10. Where is your novel set? In a small town in Minnesota. During summer.
  11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely? Ummm...The meet cute between Lacey and Mason(the love interest), their first kiss, and the big reveal of his secret.
  12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story? Her most dynamic relationship is with her dead sister, Gwen. She definitely grows close to Mason, and a few as of yet unnamed characters (I obviously have some work to do!).
  13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? I think she'll have grown a lot, learned a bit about living, be more open to new people and experiences, less closed off.
  14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens? I have a very vague ending in mind, nothing concrete though.
  15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself? Jeez, hard question...I hope and dream that it will one day be published! Does that count? Impression? I guess...I have no idea. One of my goals is to kind of show that you never get over death, you have good and bad days for the rest of your life, that it's not a simple as just deciding to "move on". I would like this book to break some hearts in the best way.

Grace's NaNo Project:
  1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser? Honestly, this is like the question about the chicken or the egg. "What came first? Chicken or the egg?" It is a cycle that happens so many times that I forgotten where it began. But I know that I am definitely a plotter. I'm sometimes a pantser, but by the end of that first chapter, I have to plot out the rest of the book. I don't do instincts that well.
  2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”? Well, I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with telling everyone what the title is. It is kind of weird, because the project hasn't been written (or started on yet), but I'm naming it. Oh, whatever. It is called The Black Queen
  3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished? I'll say this is the easiest question so far. I'm aiming for a straight 75,000 words book. 
  4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences. Three sentences? Awww, you're killing me. FIne, I'll give you three sentences. "The Black Queen follows the journey of Ashlina 'Ash' Four into the land beyond death. Not willing to listen to her dear grandmother, she insists on trying to break away from her family's traditions. But can she do that or will fate bring her towards her destiny?" 
  5. Sum up your characters in one word each. Ashlina (main character), musical. Eric (main character), nerd. Grandma Four (secondary character, anti-hero), strict. Simon (secondary character, anti-hero), manipulative. 
  6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them! I think Eric is probably going to be the most exciting character to write. He is more subtle, and you have to read subtext to figure out his true motives.
  7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal? The villain? Oh, I can't tell you that. It is a bit more subtle (though perhaps even more than Eric). I'll say his/her goal is power. 
  8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way? Ash's goal? Can I say that she has practically no goal in the beginning other than to upset or irritate people? She has that kind of "I don't care what you think about me and I'm going to speak my mind" attitude. I think the only person or thing standing in her way is herself. Or Eric. Or fate. I can't decide. There are so many options for her story arc!
  9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey? Grandmother Four pretty much is a cuckoo. That is all I can say about the incident. 
  10. Where is your novel set? The future! And land beyond death (which I have no name for; not yet, anyway). 
  11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely? The big ending (spoilers, so not saying anything about it), the beginning (crazy Grandma Four scene), and Simon's little scene (talk). 
  12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story? Ooooo! Dynamic relationship? Hmm... Simon and Eric. That is for certain. But becoming close? Ooooo... I'll shut my mouth right here.
  13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? Well, she will find a purpose. I hope.
  14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens? I'm very flexible actually, but I know anything can happen. Like if a scene doesn't work very well, then I might consider changing the ending. It depends on my feels. 
  15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself? In the end, I hope to see The Black Queen take on an interesting future. I'm planning for the book to be a massively entertaining tale (sort of like a campfire story), but I know this for certain: Anything can happen. 

This was, of course, loads of fun and Grace and I would love to see your posts, so leave us links in the comments below! Or just answer a few of the questions in the comments!
We also want to know; are you doing NaNoWriMo in November!?!

Write on, write on.
-Grace & Steele

18 comments:

  1. FOR STEELE - I have a feeling this book would be one of those that would make me sad! =( Your characters seem interesting! I can tell Dakota is the one who's gonna make me mad, I just know it! XD
    FOR GRACE - I really like your idea. I don't think I've ever read a book about that before. Haha, I name my projects before I start them, usually to keep them separate from my other work!

    Good luck with your novels, both of you. (I found your post from the link up when I added mine by the way. This Beautiful Books meme is such a good idea. It's really encouraging. =D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! My hope is for the book to be sad, but a hopeful kind of sad. Also, I want Dakota to be the kind of character you hate, yet can't help but sympathize with. =)
      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
    2. I really like Beautiful Books. It is a great way to start plotting/planning your book. I look at TBQ in different ways from different perspectives thanks to Beautiful Books.

      Delete
  2. "Gwen:dead" I shouldn't have laughed at that, but I really did. Also, small town Minnesota... go on. I'm a Minnesotan. :) Not nearly enough books set here.

    And the land beyond death has me intrigued! I want to hear more about that setting!

    Best of luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. That's okay, sadly that part, while true, was meant to be funny. =) Yeah, I mainly picked Minnesota because I couldn't think of many books that are set there! Where exactly are you from? I haven't picked a town yet!

      Delete
    2. The first part of your comment: I can't reply to that, because I must remain serious in the face of a dead character.

      As for the second part: Thank you! I already planned out a lot of things, but hey... Things can change.

      And good luck to your NaNoWriMo, too!

      Delete
  3. For Steele:
    I love your novel's title! Your characters, especially Lacey, Gwen, and Mason (secretive characters are always intriguing) caught my attention. :)

    For Grace:
    Also, love your novel's title. I actually think it can be a little easier to have a working title for a WIP. Ashlina (that is such a pretty name) and Eric seem like interesting characters! The blurb was fascinating! :)

    Good luck to you both with NaNo and your word count goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think my title is my favorite part at the moment...is that sad? =) Good luck to you too!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I think this is the first time I have a title for the first book of the series.

      And good luck to your NaNoWriMo, too!

      Delete
  4. Guys, your projects sound awesome!

    Steele, I'm pretty much the opposite of you! :P I cannot focus enough to sit down and plan a novel. Buuut I've won NaNoWriMo twice and Camp NaNo once by just pantsing it all--so hopefully it'll work this year too. ;) Good luck with naming your characters... for me that's always the hardest part.

    Grace, I think the title The Black Queen is fantastic. So intriguing. Generally with my novels though I change titles three or four times before I'm finally satisfied with them though. What can I say, I'm a perfectionist! :)

    It was lovely reading about your stories--good luck with NaNoWriMo... Not too long to go now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... Thanks! I'm a perfectionist, too, but I usually decide the name of the titles before I write. Sometimes the titles change a few times before I find the perfect one!

      Delete
    2. Yeah pantsing it is just not for me. Character naming is always the hardest part for me I'm constantly changing my mind! As for book titles most the time I don't even have one, I can never think of a good, not cliche, title! For a series I usually know the series name and then I just call the first book by that name. =)

      Good luck with NaNo!

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of both these books. Also Steele, this made me laugh: "I don't want to answer this question. This is a really hard question. Lacey is sad, depressed, and trying to move on from her twin sisters death." I felt exactly the same way when trying to answer this question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait... for it... I think Alex is coming around to reply in a few minutes, but I got here first! Hahaha!

      Are you doing NaNoWriMo? If so, good luck!

      Delete
    2. Haha! Finally, I was waiting to see if someone would comment on that. Yeah...I spent like an hour trying to figure out the sentences before giving up, but the third had to be something to do with the actual story because I couldn't think of a third funny one! =)

      Good luck with NaNo and thanks for commenting!

      p.s. Grace: =P

      Delete
  6. Steele -- 75, 000 words in one month! Woo. You go, girl! I really like small town settings in contemporaries, and Mason sounds really cute :) I hope it gets published, too! Maybe at the end of the month, we can CP for each other!

    And that goes for you, too...

    Grace -- I really don't understand how pantsers can pants (does that even make sense?) Love your title! & your premise. I'm assuming yours is a Fantasy, since Ash travels to the "land beyond death". In a way, our NaNo books are similar (my heroine travels to the Sea God's realm, which is a land between heaven and earth). I'm intrigued by Simon & Eric...hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... Thanks. It is so exciting, because NaNoWriMo starts tomorrow! And yes, it is a Fantasy!

      Delete
    2. Yeah small towns are just perfect for contemporaries! And I'd love to talk about being CPs for each other! I'm always looking for more CPs and I'm really intrigued by your story, so I'd do it just because of that alone!
      Thanks and good luck with NaNo!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)