Friday, October 17, 2014

Weekly Muse #7: Influential Writing Styles

Hey! Steele here to talk about a few books, and more specially writing styles that have influenced me. This is a little weird and different, but you know how sometimes a book is written so beautifully that it inspires you to write something just as beautiful? Whether it's lyrical, brutally honest, or written in verse, something about it is so unique and inspirational that it...inspires you. Those are the books I am talking about today.


208209941. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson
This is how I explained it in my review of this book: "It's(the writing) the craziest, most descriptive, most beautifully unique, weirdest (in a good way) writing I have ever read. It's full of metaphors, some which make more sense than others, and to me it seemed almost magical, ethereal." This is YA contemporary and the writing is...magical. I fell in love with it and it inspires me to write a book that could be just as magical while being 100% REAL.

Chosen Quote: 
“My heart leaves, hitchhikes right out of my body, heads north, catches a ferry across the Bering Sea and plants itself in Siberia with the polar bears and ibex and long-horned goats until it turns into a teeny-tiny glacier. 
Because I imagined it.” 
― Jandy Nelson

227542542. Two Breaths Too Late by Rochelle Maya Callen
This book is...tragic and so is the writing. This author really knows how to say a lot with a few words, and how to make you feel for a character, and it's tragically beautiful. This book, this author, this writing style, inspires me to write something with this level of feeling, something that could change worlds.

Chosen Quote
"Life, 
You were broken, often ugly, and always too much, but you also hid promises in pockets, tucked hope under mattresses, and crammed a thousand perfect moments between the shards of sharp and treacherous ones."
-Rochelle Maya Callen

95939133. Requiem by Lauren Oliver
Really the whole trilogy but mostly this one. I guess this is the author and trilogy that made me realize it's okay to have a romance and love based story that's not contemporary. I used to hate fantasy or dystopian that was more romance than action/adventure, and then I read this. The writing is beautiful, but more than that this series inspires me to write something that is both a love story and a kickass adventure, because they can indeed be one in the same. Lastly, the ending, if you've read this or even just read reviews of it, you may know a lot of people hate the ending, but I loved it. When I finished reading it all I could think was, "Wow. I want to do something like that."

Chosen Quote: 
“But maybe happiness isn't in the choosing. Maybe it's in the fiction, in the pretending: that wherever we have ended up is where we intended to be all along.” 
― Lauren Oliver



4. Guitar Notes by Mary Amato
12951695This is the first book I read that included song lyrics. Not only do I love the fun, carefree, writing style and story, but I loved the song lyrics. Before this book, I didn't realize how books and music could go together so well. It's definitely inspired me to experiment in my writing and what I can add to take the story to a whole new level.

Chosen Quote: 
“When she talks to Tripp, something nice happens inside of her: a vibration, a thrum. It's as if a tiny wind chime is suspended inside her soul, she thinks, and his words are the wind that makes it ring.” 
― Mary Amato

So, that's it for today! What are some books, or writing styles, that have inspired you?
Grace will be back next week with more inpiration!

Write on, write on.

-Alex Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)