Monday, November 17, 2014

Advice For Writers #11: The More You Write, The MORE You Write

Alex Steele here with your weekly dose of writing advice, which will hopefully help you with your writing or at the very least entertain you while you read this post!

So I'm sure you've heard it before that the more you write the more you write. Meaning, that if you make the effort to write everyday soon it won't take any effort and you'll write more and more everyday or every week, and before you know it your busting out 7,000 words a day! Also, the more you write the better you write. Both of these are true.

I'm going to show you some stats, the first are stats from my first year of NaNoWriMo (where you write 50,000 words in 30 days), which was last November. I had just started writing seriously that year and this was only my second novel.

The second set of stats is from this month, my second NaNoWriMo. I've been writing for a while now, have written around 6 novels (not counting half finished ideas), and have also done Camp NaNoWriMo.

First Year Of NaNo: (remember this isn't how much I wrote each day but my total at the end of the day for the month at the end of the day)

Day 1: 0

Day 2: 1819

Day 3: 3221

Day 4: 5017

Day 5: 5017

So after that I mostly stayed right up on the word count goal(which is writing 1667 words a day) but I never really got ahead for the most part. Finishing up with 54,576 words.

This Year (my second)'s NaNo:
Day 1: 4,225

Day 2: 10,025

Day 3: 15,769

Day 4: 18,214


Day 5: 21,186

See how much more I have written? I used to struggle to write 2,000 words a day, now I can easily do 5,000. Sure it's a stretch for me to do more than that, but if I had the time and wanted to I could.

The more time you spend writing the more time you'll want to spend. Before you know it the two hours you have for writing a day will be more than enough to write 5,000 words.

At the same time, remember it's not just about the word count. The more you write the better you get at writing, and it's better to have 3,000 great words than 7,000 okay ones. This is especially helpful for NaNo I feel, I know the whole point is to write 50,000 words and that not everyone has the time to spend writing that I do, but also you want it to be good. The better your first draft is, the less you have to do in revisions. Also in my experience if you know your novel basically needs to be rewritten, rather than just revised (which there's a big difference between the two), you're less likely to want to polish it up.

Wrap-up:

1. Write more. Write as much as you can, whenever you can, not just in November. You really do want to build the habit of writing every day, especially if you're ultimate goal in life is to be published.

2. Remember that it's not just writing fast, and getting that word count up, and getting to the end of your first draft. It's also about writing good, because in the end it will be the same amount of work, but you'll be more inclined to do revisions if you don't have to re-write the entire last half of your novel.

3. Remember, you can write all year, not just in November!

Also, feel free to add me as a buddy on the NaNoWriMo website!

Write on, write on,

-Alex Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)