Friday, November 14, 2014

Weekly Muse #11: Sad Songs

Alex Steele here this week to bring you more inspiration! So last week Grace shared some epic couples whose love she finds inspiring. This week I'm doing something similar.

I am someone who always has music playing in the background of whatever it is I'm doing, whether it be reading, writing, baking, the dreaded exercising. So, of course I like to "set the mood" when writing. Meaning I almost always make a playlist for the theme of whatever book I am writing. If it's an epic fast paced fantasy it tends to be a lot of rock and some of the fantasy style songs I mentioned in my last muse post. If I'm writing a cutesy contemporary it's lots of Taylor Swift and Mayday Parade. My NaNoWriMo novel is more... sad. Its overall tone is sad yet hopeful. So, of course, one of the first things I did when I started preparing for NaNo was to make a playlist! Now I'm going to share with you some of my favorite sad songs that inspire this story I am writing.


1. Weight Of The World by Young Guns.




This isn't necessarily a sad song all on it's own, but it sets the mood perfectly for my book. It's almost melancholy and beautiful. 

Choice lyric: 
"Because it's too much to bare my darlin', the weight of the world, And I would carry it for you, But please don't ask me to because the weight of the world is a burden I can't bare. It's a burden I can't bare."

2. Song For Someone by U2 



I fell in love with this song when I first heard it and it's perfect for this story. It's slow and ballade like, it's full of hope. It fits perfectly for my character Grace who is in love with music.

Choice Lyrics: 
"If there is a light, You can't always see . And there is a world, We can't always be If there is a kiss I stole from your mouth And there is a light Don't let it go out"

3. Memories by Panic! At The Disco



I just love this song. It's kind of bittersweet, and all about memories which is kind of where my main character, Lacey, is living at the moment.

Choice lyrics: 
"Oh Memories! Where'd you go? You were all I've ever known! How I miss yesterday! How'd I let it fade away? Where'd you go?"

4. World Spins Madly On by The Weepies



What to say about this song? It's perfect in every way for my story? That's true. It's all about the world spinning on even after heartbreak and death (at least that's how I see it). It's sad and bittersweet(because apparently I can't think of a better word today), and I just love it.

Choice lyrics: 
"I let the day go by I always say goodbye I watch the stars from my window sill The whole world is moving and I'm standing still"

5. Yours Truly by Paradise Fears



I can't really explain this song but I love it. It doesn't have specific meaning for this book but it's again bittersweet and melancholy and I just love it, okay?

Choice Lyrics: 
"I still know that you might leave I keep holding on tightly To the words that you said
Of all the things I've let go of And the way that I've grown up Your're the one thing I'm sure of That I could never forget"

6. Superman (it's not easy) by Five For Fighting


I cannot explain my love for this song or why it makes me feel so sad but it always has.

Choice lyrics: 
"It may sound absurd but don't be naive Even heroes have the right to bleed I may be disturbed but won't you concede Even heroes have the right to dream?And it's not easy, to be, me"


What's your favorite sad song? Do you love any of these? Do you spend hours making the perfect playlist!?!

Write on, write on.

-Alex Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)