Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Our Journey So Far #16: A New Year

Alex Steele here today and since it's almost New Years (maybe it's already 2015 by the time you're reading this), I thought I'd talk about my writing goals for the new year. Every year we prepare to leave the old year behind and start a new one, we get thinking, did I accomplish anything this year? And what about the next year, what does it hold in store for me? What do I want to accomplish?

I'd never done New Year's resolutions, and they are way too easy to break. But, you know, it's still a good idea to think of a few things you'd like to happen next year, the thing is to do things you can control. You can put down to start querying your novel but stay away from things like get an agent, of course, that's the dream, but you don't really have a lot of control over that. You can however edit and revise and start querying.

My goals for the new year:

It's pretty simple actually, I just want to be working all year. Every month I want to be doing something. I'm not in school, my only "job" is writing, so that's what I have to do. If I'm not drafting then I want to editing and revising, when I'm not editing I want to be outlining and drafting something new. That's my goal. I could break it down further, setting writing goals for every month and inevitably I will do that, multiple times, sometimes I'll follow through, sometimes I won't, but this is the main goal.

Ideally I would like:

To finish re-writing Dragon Heir, edit/revise it, and start querying it.

To finish editing/revising This World In Gray and query it.

To write A War Of Queens and the first in my Forsaken series.

To edit and revise Hunters Of Artemis.

I would like to accomplish all that and more in 2015, but I know that I might not. I may get super busy doing something else. I may get a new idea that needs more attention than these things. I may have to do more work on Dragon Heir or This World In Gray and spend months on them. But, as long as I'm working on something every month(not every day, not every week, because sometimes you just need a break) then that's good enough for me.

So, ideally I'd want to spend each month on something different, just to give myself a break. One month edit, the next draft, then the next go back to the edits. But, again as long as I'm doing something I'll be happy.

So, tell us, what are your writing goals for 2015? Are they vague like mine, waiting to just see what happens? Or do you already have the whole year planned out? Please feel free to leave your answers in the comments below!

write on, write on,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)