Monday, January 19, 2015

Advice For Writers #20: Write What You Know?

Alex Steele here today to discuss something I'm sure we all hear a lot. And that is: write what you know.

I've seen and heard it over and over again. I've also seen a lot of people contradicting that in other blog posts and articles, because, quite frankly it's bullshit (please excuse my language). I mean, what does it even mean? Does it mean that since I'm not gay I can't write a gay character? Does it mean since I'm not a math prodigy I can't write about one? Does it mean since I don't live in Maine and don't know what it feels like in the summer, I can't write about it?

If I ever said write what you know, it would mean this: I read lots of YA and Middle Grade books, I know about them and I know about how characters that age think and act, so that's what I write. I know that, so I write it.

But I also write about dragons and does anyone really know dragons? I write about love having never fallen in love myself, I write about pain and while I have felt pain (emotional and otherwise) it's not quite on the level of my characters. I write about characters who are badass artists and I can't draw a stick figure, I don't know how to draw, but I still write about it.

(Grace: Ahh, love. Good old love, which loads of drama. Sorry, Alex. I wanted to make a comment. Couldn't resist). 

So, no. Don't write what you know. Write what you love, write what inspires you, write what you wish was real, write whatever you want whether you know everything there is to know about the subject or not.

This isn't the most advice filled post I've written but it's something I wanted to talk about and if you want to talk about it too, please comment down below!

Write on, write on.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)