Saturday, January 10, 2015

Beautiful People #2: About Us!

10928109_595959117172101_1450331761_n

Beautiful people is a meme created by Cait @ Paperfury and  Sky @Furether Up and Further, This meme comes along once a month and it's all about writing! Most months are focused on our characters, but this month is all about us, the writers! Do check out this meme if you're a writer as it's lots of fun, you can check it out here!

Steele:

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’? Hmm. I guess I would say that I officially started considering myself a writer when I was 13 (about 5 years now), and that was when I started outlining my very first book, which I literally spent years outlining.

2. How/why did you start writing? Well, I got an idea (I actually remember the exact moment I got this idea as it was the day Taylor Swift's Speak Now came out and the first time I heard the song Long Live), and I'd known for years before then that I wanted to be a writer, but I didn't actually start writing it (the idea) until 2013, and then it was basically because my brother forced me too.


3. What’s your favorite part of writing? Living in make believe worlds, whether they look like the real one or wildly different.


4. What’s your biggest writing struggle? Hmmm, hard question. What do you even mean!?


I would probably say world building, I struggle with it a lot. In my mind, I'll have my whole fantasy world built up but I suck (at the moment) at building it on paper.


5. Do you write best at night or day? Most definitely night, in a large part due to the fact that during the day I can put things off, because it's like 'eh, I have all day', at night that doesn't work so well.


6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!) Pretty chaotic most the time.

Sadly, it's fairly clean and organized right now!


7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft? Typically? I don't think I have a typically. I do NaNo a lot (camp and regular) and I've written a lot of my drafts in one month but I've also taken two or three months with some of them. So, I can do it in a month but sometimes I draw it out longer for one reason or another.

8. How many projects do you work on at once? I prefer to only concentrate on one at time and give it my full attention.


9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between? In between and sometimes both. Depends on what I'm writing, happy fluffy contemporary? Happy ending. Most other things I like to go for sad yet hopeful...most the time. =)


10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey. Rick Riordan, his books got me into reading and wanting to write in the first place. Jandy Nelson, whose beautifully descriptive writing inspired to try changing up my style a bit. Lauren Oliver, whose Delirium trilogy was the first to kind of make me realize, that yes, romance and action can fit together. Also, I feel like J.K. Rowling doesn't even need to be mentioned...because, obviously. Lastly, Cinda Williams Chima, whose books first taught me to love high fantasy and want to create equally awesome worlds.


11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not? Yes, my family reads everything I write. My brother reads everything first and is lots of help not only with editing(I hate commas, they always trip me up) but just...with everything, and I'm not against other people reading it. I just have find ones that I really trust before I let them read it. Why? Because it can only help!


12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream? To be traditionally published. Also, to land my dream agent...yes I have a dream agent, I stalk her blog (anonymously) and everything. 


That's not creepy, right?


(Grace: I don't know. I stalk Misha Collins' Twitter "anonymously.")
(Steele: yeah, but you would stalk him in real life if you could!)

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do? Um, nothing? Writing is EVERYTHING. If I have to pick though...? Probably be a chef/baker, I love baking and cooking and yeah.


14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet? Yes, mainly my fairy tale retelling series. To me, retellings (especially with them being, basically the new thing) have to be really awesome and really original and I'm not ready to attempt it yet even if I do have my main idea for it.


15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go? Dragon Heir, my first novel. But, at the moment, it's hanging in stasis while I try to figure out how to fix it and make it even awesomer.




Grace:

1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’? Gosh. Well, I considered myself an essayist when I was pretty young. But I think I switched to writing at around 11 or 12. 

2. How/why did you start writing? There is a ton of people who inspired me to write (though I didn't know what it was at that time). I can thank a bunch of people from my high school teachers to certain organizations. I think it is Marissa Meyer who gave me the final push into this insane life choice. 

(And no, I don't know her, though I wish because she seems really awesome). 

3. What’s your favorite part of writing? World building. But I love writing the climax of the story way before I write the first chapter. Also, quotes. 

4. What’s your biggest writing struggle? Hahaha. I can list way too many. But the biggest struggle is probably editing. Editing and seeing the flaws. Plot holes... Eh, I can really see it, but parts that don't make sense or is simply just weird? I need help. 

5. Do you write best at night or day? I'll tell you the truth. I rarely write at night. I guess I'm not a night owl. So I'll say that I write best during the day.

6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!) Hahaha. No. I'm not showing pictures. You will all think me a hoarder.

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft? Oh. This one varies. I think the shortest time (my record) is 8 days. The longest is 4 months. On average, I finish my novels in about 1 to 1.5 months. 

8. How many projects do you work on at once? Currently, I'm working on editing TBQ (The Black Queen) and writing WDS (Welcome to the Dark Side). 

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between? Well... I know some of my novels are "somewhere in between." I haven't written any "sad ones" yet, but "happy endings" are mostly everywhere.

10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey. I already mentioned Marissa Meyer. J.K. Rowling is more than obvious, and Rick Riordan is spectacular with his humor and Greek myths. I will have to mention Ally Carter, too.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not? Yes! I do (and the links are in the "Our Works" page). I believe that in order to improve my writing and my works, I should let readers review it and criticize me. 

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream? I think that is to be published by a traditional publisher and have people talk about what I've written. 

13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do? I would be someone in the STEM fields. (STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). But I won't hold my breath on that! I might end up going in a crazy direction.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet? No. I actually believe I can write... No, no, no. Scratch that. 

Let me say this: I haven't met a plot bunny which looked like Mt. Everest to me. TLP used to be one, but TLP is now in its third draft and querying (probably will come back to revise it for the fourth time!). 

In my vision, in my shoes, I'm not seeing a mountain nor hiking a mountain right now. 

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go? AHHHH! Don't make me make that choice! There are so many stories that have my heart because they are all pieces of me. But the one that probably has my heart, is WDS and TBQ. I can't choose between them! 



Please do leave us links to your posts in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, it must be cool that you can rely on each other for writing support. I noticed that Alex's biggest struggle was worldbuilding while that was Grace's fav part, so you must be awesome CPs for each other. Best of luck in working on your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And good luck to you! We sort of balance each other out. Except in insanity. We simply add more gasoline to each other's flames.

      Delete
    2. Haha, it is pretty awesome!

      Good luck with all your writing adventures!

      Delete
  2. Steele: I'm with you on the commas! They drive me crazy. There's so many rules for them and after you're finished, it looks like there's more commas than words! And I love your answer for #3.

    Grace: 8 days for a first draft! Wow! I wish I had that kind of track record. And plot holes are rather bothersome. I tend to run into those often too. Which is probably why I don't write first drafts fast. I put writing on hold until I've solved my plot hole (at which times I try to feel very Sherlock-like. . .).

    You both have Riordan for #10! I will have to read him soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commas will be my downfall, I'm sure of it. Haha, thank you!

      Also, love the Sherlock reference, I'm the same way. ;)

      You really should read him, he's awesome. Good luck with all your writing!

      Delete
    2. To avoid plot holes, I sometimes put a lot of effort into planning. That way I don't run into big plot holes!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)