Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Our Journey So Far #20: Steele's Quirky Writing Habits

Hey, Steele here today to talk about what I'm currently working on. I also wanted to discuss some quirky writing habits I have.

Much like athletes with all their superstitions writers tend have their own personal quirks and things we do time after time, whether for good luck or just because we always have. Here are some of mine. 


  • Lucky numbers. I have this superstition, I guess you would call it, with lucky numbers. I won't go into details but basically I have a handful of lucky numbers that tend to come up a lot when I'm writing, whether I try and write a specific number of chapters because of it or I send out query letters on that day of the month.
  • I also draft at my desktop while I revise/edit on either my laptop(tablet) or desktop. I don't know why, but I just always do my first draft on my desktop.
  • I never write without music playing and I almost always make a specific playlist for my new novel that I listen to the whole time I draft.
  • I usually drink coffee when drafting but tea when revising/editing.
  • I wait a long time before deciding to write something. A lot of thought goes into it before I decide which idea I'm going to work on next, because I want to make sure it's something I'm clear on all the details of. My biggest fear is losing interest in my novel and having to force myself through it or otherwise give up. If an idea doesn't have my heart, it shouldn't be being written.


Currently working on - Things. I'm writing this in advance and scheduling it so by the time it goes up I'm not sure what I'll be working on. So...I'm just going to talk about A War Of Queens.

If you've followed my posts for anytime you may have heard me mention this book before, I usually refer to it as a hot mess but recently I've been working a lot on developing the idea and I'm really falling in love with it all over again. This is the book I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2013 and I never even wrote the last two or three chapters because it was missing something, that something that makes a book amazing and interesting, so I put it on hold. Then I went back to it during Camp NaNo 2014, rewrote half of it and decided it still wasn't right.

Now, this book was actually going to be a series and A War Of Queens was going to end up being the title of the last book, which the last book, my idea for it was the coolest and best part of the series and... So... I realized, why not just write it as a (very long) stand alone?

So, yeah. I haven't started writing it yet, but I'm working a lot on designing the world and building my characters and all that fun stuff.


Tell me, what are some of your writing quirks and what are you working on?

Write on, write on.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your writing habits, Alex! I think all writers have their quirks when it comes to their writing process. I always drink tea when I write; and when I'm working on my novel, I like to light a scented candle that (sort of) goes with the scene I'm working on. And I listen to music too! Usually film soundtrack pieces if it's the novel, and new age / relaxing music if it's a blog article.

    Right now I'm finishing up the first draft of a fantasy novel. I'm pretty sure it's going to be YA, but right now I'm more focused on getting the story down. It features human-size fairies (not the typical paranormal / creepy ones), magic, a quest to find missing artifacts, political intrigue and diplomatic conflicts, and a protagonist struggling with a desire for vengeance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I love scented candles and the idea of lighting ones for certain scenes, that's awesome. I listen to movie soundtracks, like instrumental stuff, when I need to concentrate and not be distracted!

      Life size fairies? wow, that sounds epic! Good luck with your writing!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)