Sunday, February 15, 2015

Speed... What?: Alex Steele


Hey all, Alex Steele here today! This is my questionnaire for Grace's Valentine's writer's critique partner matchmaking! Basically, everyone fills out the questionnaire, links it on Grace's post and then you visit other blogs and try and find people with similar interests! Hopefully, this leads you to finding some critique partners and writing friends!

(Grace: And I'm totally jealous by how you explained the matchmaking much better than I ever could). 

1. What is the farthest stage of writing you're in? Remember that publishing (traditional or self-publishing is our goal! (Say... "currently writing first draft," "editing," "querying," "sending out to beta readers," or "published." You can say "it's complicated," if you wish). 

I'm editing and outlining currently, but the farthest I'm at is sending to beta readers and preparing to query.


2. Dog or cat? Or neither? 


Cats!


3. What is your favorite book?


Percy Jackson, the whole series and sequel series.


4. What genres are you most familiar with? Or which genres are you writing? (Feel free to go forth and explain in detail!). 


I'm most familiar with Young Adult and Middle Grade, including upper middle grade and some New Adult. Genre-wise, contemporary, fantasy, dystopian, retellings, and romance of all kinds under YA and MG. I've written in all these except retellings.


5. Greatest piece of inspiration? 


So I'm taking this question to mean something that greatly inspires me? Music. Of all kinds. Also, there's this quote:


“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.” ― Neil Gaiman

I'm not even sure what it is about the quote, but it speaks to me, so if it speaks to you, then maybe we're a match? =)

6. Previous experience in writing? (If you don't have anything to say or admit, then you can simply tell us about how you got into writing. Or you can answer both questions). 


Um, I've written around 10 novels, edited 4, queried 1 before realizing it wasn't ready, and done critiquing only once, but I also review books which I feel gives me an edge for critiquing. ;)


I got into writing from reading but mostly I've always wanted to write, even when I was little and wasn't serious about it. Then one day when I was thirteen I realized I want to live in a fantasy world for the rest of my life, and this is the best way I know how to do that.


7. Your goal! Your personal goal. Is it to write for yourself? Or is it to write for others? 


I definitely write for myself but with the hope that one day it will speak to others. I mean, obviously I would love to be a bestseller, but for one of my books to make just one person feel the same way I do when reading a favorite book? Well, that would be epic.


8. Favorite food?


Um, I love Chinese food and candy.


9. Favorite song?


Um, impossible. Let's go genre, I love Rock and Alternative. If I had to pick a favorite song though, I'd go with one of two that I've loved since I was like 10, which would be Absolutely (Story Of A Girl) by Nine Days or Accidently In Love by Counting Crows.


10. And finally, what is the synopsis of your most favorite (or greatest) work? Don't be scared. We won't laugh (unless it is meant to be humor). 


My work? How can I pick!? Honestly, my newest novel is what I would call my best, just because with every book you learn more and grow more, and you get better every time! So, the synopsis for This World In Gray, which is a YA Contemporary novel;


"Lacey’s story is one filled with grief and depression, the feeling of the world ending, and of things never being the same again. It’s also about friendship and the bonds of family that can never be broken. Throughout this story Lacey learns to put herself back together after her twin sister's death, only to fall apart all over again. She learns to make friends for the first time in her life and that those friends can hurt you. She also learns the true power of a great song, and that poetry is the perfect outlet for all kinds of feelings."
That's all! So, if you think we're a good match for critique partners or beta reading friends, or just want to be friends in general, then go ahead and leave me a comment below! I also run the Grace & Steele twitter (here!) where we can talk or if you'd rather email me my personal email is fangirlsarepeopletoo @ gmail.com I'm always looking for more critique partners so don't be shy!

Write on, write on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)