Sunday, March 8, 2015

Beautiful People #4.

PAPERFURY
Beautiful People is a writers meme hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In! Every month there is a set of ten questions that they post for everyone to answer about their characters! It's both a way for readers to get to know your characters better and for you too. If you're a writer we highly recommend you check it out as it's all kinds of fun!
Grace's Character: Anita from The Bend in the Road

Info: The Bend in the Road is a book of poetry. Yes, poetry. Yes, I'm doing this. Yes, you can laugh, because I'm definitely taking a detour from writing novels. Anita is the narrator of this book.
  1. What is their secret desire? To dance. After being told she couldn't dance anymore (medical reason), she longs to dance one more time. 
  2. What is the best and brightest moment they experience during the story? Umm... Let's just say that there aren't a lot of best and brightest moments for her. And if I do tell you, then that would be spoilers!
  3. What are the emotional places your characters are afraid to go to? Let's just say that Anita doesn't like to cry. And there are few emotional places I don't take her.
  4. Is there a place/city/room where they will never go? Why? Yes. A theater. Or maybe a dance hall. Anything that reminds Anita of what she can't do anymore. And malls, shopping stores. Anything that reminds her with the condition she has (scoliosis). 
  5. If they were permanently leaving town, what would they easily throw out? What would they refuse to part with? (Why?) Easily throw out? Those medical insurance papers asking for payment. She'll burn those in a heartbeat. Along with her x-rays. But refuse to part with? Well, now that is a spoiler. 
  6. What do they want (consciously and tangibly)? I think this is similar to 1. But Anita, at her core, wants relief. And maybe another chance to dance again.
  7. On the other hand: what do they need (on the emotional, subconscious level)? Relief. From her pain (both emotional and physical). 
  8. If they could change one thing about themselves, what would it be? Depends on who you ask. Anita in the beginning of the book. Anita in the middle of the book. Anita in the end... Well, that is spoilers. (Lots of spoilers here). 
  9. What is the most humiliating event of their life? Maybe being singled out among all the girls, because of... Well, more spoilers.
  10. What things do they turn to when they need a bit of hope? Dancing. But she can't do that anymore. (Gosh! I'm so cruel). 

So that is it! Leave a comment below! 

-Grace

11 comments:

  1. Awwww, poor Anita. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be able to pursue one's passion for medical reasons. I wonder if her story will show how she tries to find a way to dance again despite her doctor's orders...? Also, I think it's really interesting that you're exploring this through poetry. How are you finding this approach so far, Grace?

    Rylie... I'm curious to know why she completely avoids the second floor of her house. I'm not asking for spoilers; just saying that makes me more interested in learning about her and her story. ;) But my question is, what's driving her need to be perfect? Why does she want to be that way? Is something from her past compelling her to strive for this? Also, does she realize at some point in her story that perfection isn't possible? (That actually turned out to be more than a single question, didn't it? *lol*) I'm just sharing things that struck me as I was reading Rylie's part of the questionnaire. Hope you don't mind, Steele.

    I just copied the questions from Sky's site today, so I hope to have my answers posted next week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't mind at all! Honestly, I'm just glad it made you so interested!

      Funnily enough, the avoiding the second-floor thing and the strive for perfection are both caused by the same thing, which is her dad's death. And yes, I do believe she will come to realize perfection isn't everything or really possible, it's seeming like that's going to tie into her giant meltdown(I'm oddly excited for this part of the book). Hope that helped answer your questions and thanks for the thoughtful comment!

      Can't wait to see your post! =)

      Delete
    2. Poetry is really interesting. It is really different from novels, and I think it is an interesting work of art. Totally different.

      Next week? Aww... Well, I'll try to keep my eye for it.

      Delete
    3. Penelope, it actually went up this morning. I finished it sooner than I thought I would. ;)

      Delete
    4. Alex: Ahhhh, OK. That makes more sense now, especially since you mentioned that Rylie is going to have a meltdown (a.k.a. character arc). Good luck with her story! :)

      And Penelope, good luck with yours, too!

      Delete
    5. Haha, thanks, Sara!

      Good luck with your writing too. =)

      Delete
  2. I love both these characters, both Anita and Rylie seem like really broken people. Anita's scoliosis and Rylie and her father just wow. I bet their stories are going to be gut wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I like to reveal spoilers on Anita's ending, I really can't. But gut wrenching? Yep. I'm aiming for that.

      Delete
    2. Haha thanks! I'm hoping for some gut-wrenching near the middle. It's one of my favorite things to write, broken characters are kinda the best.

      Delete
  3. One of my friends has scoliosis and I've never read a story/fictional work that has a character with scoliosis in it - it's a terrible thing when medical conditions stop you doing something you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I used to read through like hundreds of books, and I can't find a single character with well portrayed scoliosis.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)