Monday, September 15, 2014

Advice For Writers #2: Get Over That Writer's Block!

Ah. Writer's block. They are the bane of our existence. They are the kryptonite to our Superman and yes, Supergirl. Writer's block is caused by one reason and one reason only. Actually, two. But I'll pay more attention to the former than the latter. 



How we get Writer's block: 

Writer's block is an ugly creature. Low self-confidence (doubt, basically) can easily bring us down. I remember these thoughts when I was thirteen years old. (Oh, yeah, I was writing back then). These terrible thoughts that I wasn't good enough. Those thoughts that make me think that no one, no one will like my writing or the stories I tell. Honestly, I'm fine with that now. Criticism? Throw that at me, and I will walk with my chin high and keep on writing. 

(Of course, not all criticisms are bad. Some of them are actually useful, and they can help you develop your potential for good writing). 


The second one is pure laziness. Oh, that one. I remember that one. "I'll do that later!" "Manana!" "Someday!" Those are just a few of the many excuses some use to not write. My advice for these people (you know who you are): Get your fingers moving and start writing!


How to get over Writer's block:

I already explained the lazy ones. Get up and write! That is the advice for laziness.

Self-confidence is a strange feeling. If there is too much of it, you come off as arrogant and conceited. Too little, you stop writing. Like life, the trick to avoid being these people (doubtful or arrogant) is to find a balance. Balance between writing and playing, schoolwork or a job. 


If you are one of the arrogant ones, then perhaps a reality check is in place. And that is assuming you can tell that you are arrogant. If you want to check if arrogance is in you, look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself whether or not you think you are the most important person in the world. If yes, I think there is a problem. If no, you still might want to get that checked. 


And the doubtful ones? Look into the mirror and tell yourself that you will write passionately without caring a thing of what other people say. Tell yourself that you are good enough to write. Let yourself run free and escape to a different land. And remember, fellow writers, hold your chin high.


Happy Writing!


-Penelope Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)