Friday, February 13, 2015

Weekly Muse #24: Love Is In The Air

Valentine's Day is tomorrow! Yay. And boo, for some people. Valentine's Day, for me, reminds me of all the makeout scenes I've written. I don't know about you, but I think there is something wrong there.


Anyway, my mother just reminded me that I'm single and could be mingling at church. But seriously, do I really want to go to church? Last time I was there, I spent the entire Sunday in the closet while writing about one spy and one thief trying to up each other (well, that isn't exactly the plot, but it is pretty close). 

And I think the service was about the Twelve Disciples. Can't remember though. To the Heavenly Father, I admit that I ditched it. 

But this Weekly Muse is about love. Particularly romance. I believe most of us are writing about romance. (Who isn't?). Some of us need an inspiration for a romance, whether that be pictures, songs, or even stories (Hello, Romeo and Juliet!). 

So this week, I'm going to list nine pieces of work (pictures, songs, stories) and show what inspires me to write a romance. 

1. "Lovefool" by The Cardigans


Type: song

"Lovefool" is my latest favorite song, I heard it on the radio (KOST, if you are into that), and I'm so addicted to it. 

I really like it, but this is perhaps the only song on the list that hasn't inspired me to write a romance (which is totally against the rules of this list, but did I say favorite song? Favorite song... That is the only reason this song is on this list. Got it?). 

I haven't figured out how it can help me write, but until then, I will dance to "Lovefool."

2. "How to be a Heartbreaker" by Marina and The Diamonds

Type: song

Dance song. I can really sing to this song and dance to it. Really, I think I'd used this song to help me write a fight scene. Like a couple's spat. It is weird, but yes. I did that. Crazy, isn't it? 

3. "Cigarette Daydreams" by Cage the Elephant 

Type: song

Another favorite of mine. It is a much softer song. I can almost categorize it as a breakup song. Or maybe even a longing song. Lots of wanting and longing. But yes, I do like this song. I listened to it while rewriting TBQ. But I might actually seek it out and listen to it while writing a scene where one character looks at their ex, who has moved on. Maybe even while that character is "standing in the pouring rain." 

I don't know. There are so many ways I can use this song. Gosh... so tempting. 

4. How I Met Your Mother. 

Type: tv show

Now, you all think I'm drunk or high now. (Or maybe not. But it is hard to tell). But I think HIMYM is definitely my favorite inspiration. Just lovely. 

Just take Ted's speech about those 45 days. Or maybe Ted's Superdate. Or Ted's two-minute date. It is amazing, and there are so many examples I can reflect it. And you have to admit that Ted is pretty smooth at getting dates...sometimes. 

5. "1, 2, 3, 4" by Plain White T's

Type: song
"It's as easy as 1-2-1-2-3-4 There's only ONE thing (one) TWO do (two) THREE words (three) FOUR you... (four) (I love you) I love you"
Need any more proof?

6. Grimms' Fairy Tales

Type: short stories, fairy tales

A lot of them inspired my writing. They are "Cinderella," "Snow White," "King Thrushbeard," and "Sleeping Beauty."

7. Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen

Type: short stories, fairy tales

Don't confuse some of these tales with the Grimms' Fairy tales. Yes, it is a bit confusing, but there are some of them that I have to mention.

  • "The Little Mermaid"
  • "The Snow Queen"
8. Tumblr itself.

Type: website

I admit that I find many things on Tumblr that are very inspiring. I won't mention anything else. But yes, Tumblr is awesome.

9. Destiel Fanart

Type: pictures

Now, there is a lot of them. But I think I can put the most infamous of all on here. 


For some reason, I can really write LGBTQ while thinking about that picture. (I know. I'm weird. And crazy. Tell me something I don't know). 

And that is it.

So tell me what inspires you in the comments section. And I won't mention Valentine's Day and my lack of a date.

Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)