Monday, November 10, 2014

Advice For Writers #10: How To Win NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo. National November Writing Month. The craziest acronym I have ever seen. With the exception of Misha Collins' scavenger hunt's acronym. Remember that one? GISHWHES. "The ugliest acronym the world has ever seen" as stated by Misha Collins somewhere. I agree. 

Wholeheartedly, of course.

But how do you win NaNoWriMo? I think it is safe to say that everyone wants to write a novel by the end of the month. Or at least a novella. 

There are some obvious ways...

1. Stay on track and write! You don't have to write every day, but you need to be ahead of the word count by at least two hundred words. Plus, writing more than 1,666 does make NaNoWriMo a bit more bearable on the harsher days (the no-muse days). 

2. Outline. I think this one speaks for itself, but I'm going to say it anyway. Outlining helps you stay on track. Without my outlines, I would be so lost.

3. Be inspired. Without inspiration, your work is just a bunch of words. It is okay to procrastinate, as long as you are making progress. So if you are searching through Google for the strangest facts for an hour, hey, you are still working. Open to new ideas. If you are really desperate for ideas, there are NaNoWriMo forums. They even have an adoption site for abandoned plots and ideas.

4. Have word count wars. Although this is more for those people (like me) who are very competitive, you can still join. Alex and I are having an ongoing word war. As of right now (November 5, morning), Alex is at 18K while I'm at 32K. It is fun, but I'm so going to win! (*Evil laughter*)

So what does this all add up to? One, keep writing. Two, stay inspired. Three, don't lose sight of your goal and wander off the path.

And most of all, good luck everyone. If you want to go to war against me (and I will most certainly crush you all), then please add me here

Happy Writing, everyone! 

-Penelope Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)