Friday, March 13, 2015

Weekly Muse #28: A List Of Chapter Titles

I used to have a sarcastic list of chapter titles for TBQ (The Black Queen). (See it under this cut). 


In my opinion, it is really funny. And I think it is. But I decided to change it to titles of songs or works of art (or something like that), because why not? So I decide to make a list of songs that fit perfectly with TBQ and its chapters. (I'm making a list this time because I'm way too busy to find the album pictures). Feel free to listen to any of these songs...

1. Requiem by Mozart (because why not?)
2. Warriors by Imagine Dragons
3. Secrets by OneRepublic 
4. Coming Home by B.o.B. 
5. Viva La Vida by Coldplay 
6. Your Song by Elton John 
7. The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga
8. The Monster by Imagine Dragons
9. Angel With the Shotgun by The Cab
10. Vienna by Billy Joel
11. Another One Bites the Dust by Queen
12. Mr. Brightside by The Killers
13. Breakeven by The Script
14. Little Talks by Of Monster and Men
15. Somebody to Love by Queen

Yep. I'm changing the chapter titles to something like "Breakeven" or "Your Song." Interesting, huh? Song titles into chapter titles. 

What do you guys think?

Happy Writing!


4 comments:

  1. A while ago I was going back and forth on whether I should title my chapters, and decided to get rid of mine. I don't see chapter titles that frequently anymore. Plus, I wonder if having titles spoils certain things for the readers before they reach those chapters. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TBQ's titles are meant to go deeper. The titles tell more and less about the chapters. Sort of like hints (and you can think of it like scavenger hunting for a deeper meaning). Some first drafts I'd written have numbers instead of titles. Others... Not.

      Majorly, I just stick to the narrator's personality and decide whether or not she/he is the type to name titles. Sure, they spoil some things, but the spoilers don't really bother me very much. I'm not the type to reveal who is going to die or what is going to happen in chapter titles anyway.

      Besides, I like chapter titles.

      Delete
    2. Gosh, I just realized I just ranted on and on about chapter titles.

      Delete
    3. I've done a few different things before. For my middle grade fantasy I did funny chapter names, for my Young Adult fantasy/dystopian I did song titles, mostly just because I wanted to. Recently, I haven't been using chapter names, mostly because for the books they were for it was unneeded, one of them was a dual POV book so I just put the character name as the chapter name and then for my other contemporary book it was always "so many DAYS AFTER" Because it was counting how many days had passed since the main characters sister died.

      (Now I'm rambling)

      I don't generally pay attention to chapter titles when I'm reading unless they're funny, then they amuse me greatly. There's this book, Ask Again Later, and the chapters have long titles that subtling and funnily reveal what happens in that chapter, I didn't think it was really a spoiler it just made it more fun in my opinion. Basically, if they're used right I don't think they spoil things, but coming up with the perfect chapter names drives me insane!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)