Monday, December 22, 2014

Advice For Writers #16: Two or too? The Icky Thing About Grammar

Raise your hand if you hate grammar. I think half of us really hate grammar and the other half are probably Grammar Nazis. Just kidding. I'm sure I can create a poll to gather the correct data and statistics and everything, form the right conclusion, analyze the data...

Alright. Now, I'm going to tell how this: you seriously need to let it go about grammar. Just write. Don't get down because of a spelling error.


It doesn't mean you are a terrible writer. Heck, I can recall some authors who can't spell to save their lives. Famous authors, actually. F. Scott Fitzgerald (The Great Gatsby) and Ernest Hemingway (For Whom The Bell Tolls). I know that I really hate Hemingway, because...


Edna is right.
Anyway, Edna is not right. Words are fierce. They are absolute. They are Heaven's most terrifying weapon. Okay, maybe not the last part, but the first two parts are correct.

But the message is this: No matter how terrible you are at grammar, you need to let it go when you write your novel. IT DOES NOT MATTER. It doesn't. It is only when you start editing, that it matters. 

But you are not editing. You are writing a book, making an idea rounder and a dream more vivid. Grammar is just the little details. 

So, it isn't really icky. It is just part of the bigger picture.

Happy Writing!

2 comments:

  1. Aww I liked this post. It's so true, and a useful thing to remember. Whenever I stop to fix the grammar, I lose the momentum of the scene I'm writing and that's even MORE infuriating. So I write it anyhow and fix it after. c: Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent like 10 minutes thinking this post was too short. Then I'm like... Nah. But thanks for your comment! Merry Christmas, again! And a Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! We treasure every comment like its....well treasure. =)